We visited Perast and had lunch at The Admiral on waterfront before taking a boat to Our Lady of the Rocks, an island church in the Bay of Kotor. The local legend tells a story of how sailors in ancient times found an icon of the Madonna and Child on a rock in the sea and keeping a promise to leave a rock at this place in the bay after every successful voyage an islet was gradually built by the custom of throwing rocks in this location of the bay. In 1452 a Serbian Orthodox Church was built on the man-made island and later the church was taken over by the Roman Catholic Church and in 1632 the present Church of our Lady of the Rocks was built and upgraded again in 1722. The nearby island of St. George is a natural island and the site of Benedictine Monastery dating back to the 12th century.
Our trip to the Church of Our Lady of the Rocks was one of many highlights to the many remarkable places in the “Natural and Culturo-Historical Region of Kotor” and no surprise to us that the area is a “World Heritage Site.”